Sunday, November 9, 2014

Warp and Weft




In weaving, the warp are the pieces of yarn threaded lengthwise on the loom. The weft is the name for the thread or yarn which is woven transversely through the warp to make the fabric. The key to having a good strong fabric is to prepare the warp carefully on the loom as you begin.
In my life, my warp are the things that keep me in balance: my trust in God, my daily prayer routine, and my family. My weft are all my wonderful activities and ambitions for each day: ministry coaching, church planting, being a pastor, trying to be a good mom and community member, doing justice, having some fun for myself, and self-care.
When the shuttle, the tool used to move the threads of the weft back and forth across the warp, is thrown and pulled too tightly then the edges of the fabric (called selvedges) pull in and the fabric is no longer square. Any weaver can see there is a problem with the fabric.
When my life gets out of balance, I am trying to do too much. I throw the shuttle back and forth across the warp of my life, trying to weave too many threads into too small a space. The edges of my fabric shrink in and I feel like my life is shrinking in. I cannot breathe. I have to relax. I have to find a way to let go of some things so there is space for what is most important.
Fabric, to be beautiful, must be able to breath. The weft must be in balance with the warp.
This blog is about balance and about weaving all the aspects of my life together in a way that brings balance and beauty. The key is to depend upon the warp: trust in God, daily prayer, and family. Without these three, I cannot be a pastor, a coach, a church planter, a good citizen, or a good mom.
I hope you will share your challenges and your successes with me. I especially want to hear from other pastors who are parents about how you manage the balance of these two full time jobs. Let’s learn together.

No comments:

Post a Comment